Friday 11 October 2013

The Swedish are coming! The Swedish are coming!

So it’s been just over a week since I arrived at my new home for the year at StuSie (Studenten Siedlung), and I couldn’t be happier, albeit the flat is quite different to what I had previously imagined. For one thing, I was not anticipating there to be so many people. There are 12 of us living on this floor! 12! But, actually, that’s pretty awesome. I was a little confused though when I got here as I had no idea who was actually living in the flat, and everyday there seemed to be someone sleeping on the sofa in the kitchen. I’ve since worked out who actually lives here but I think there are still two people I haven’t met yet. So far though, it feels like I hit the jack pot in terms of flatmates J

On Thursday we decided to cook together. It was a little like the ‘Ready, Steady, Cook’ challenge… as all the shops were closed due to it being Tag der Deutschen Einheit (German Unity Day), we just had to be creative with what we had in our cupboards. A slightly odd combination of things but I think it turned out pretty well! Afterwards we played trivial pursuit, in German. My general knowledge is abysmal at the best of times, yet alone when the questions are related to Germany and I don’t understand half the words! Though my brother and sister should be proud that the two answers I did get were related to Geography and Literature. We gave up and changed to poker when some more people arrived and we had to swap to English. 
There’s actually a really nice mix of nationalities in my flat, though the main ones are German and Swedish. Apparently our balcony is the Swedish hangout, which I’m definitely not complaining about. This is the result of a night on the balcony with the Swedish! 


My lovely flate mate Einar has already been teaching me some Swedish, though I think I’m going to drive him crazy with my inability to say the number 7! :P
I also got my first experience of the StuSie bar with some people I met through the Freiburg Erasmus page. Pretty cool place, in an artsy sort of studenty way. And lucky for us it was Deja-Vu night, meaning every time you bought a drink before midnight you got a coupon so you could get the same drink again after midnight for free.
As for my room...well frankly, in my opinion, it resembled a white-washed prison cell when I first moved in. Thanks to the wonder that is Ikea I have since decorated, which has definitely helped, though donations of posters and photos for my wall would be most welcome!
Before Ikea:



     


After Ikea:



Since moving in, it seems I’ve been busy every day, which is why it has taken me so long to get this second post online. But it’s good. I’ve met a lot of great people already, and even managed to go to Stuttgart (twice!), where I used to live. The first time was with a group of people I met on the Freiburg Erasmus Facebook page, who were also interested in going to the Octoberfest there (the Cannstatter Wasen). 


The weather was pretty rubbish but as always, the atmosphere there was really good. My favourite part of the day was finally buying my own dirndl! Yes, ridiculously expensive I know but I’m fine with eating cheap noodles for a while if it means I get to wear a pretty dress twice a year…
And yes, I am aware how crazy that last sentence sounded.
My second trip to Stuttgart was yesterday, as I wanted to meet up with an old friend. That and try out my new dress ;) I think we really rocked the traditional German look – we even made it on the website!


Apart from my trips to Stuttgart, which aren’t over yet (I’m off again tomorrow), this week has mostly been filled with all the ridiculous paperwork that seems to be a favourite pastime of German people. Although getting everything filled out seemed to go pretty smoothly and quickly, I think I spent about 5 hours this week just queuing. 
So you can get an idea of what exactly I've had to do just to be able to matriculate, here is a quick summary of what is actually needed to matriculate as an Erasmus student here:
Your acceptance letter
A form showing you’ve registered in Freiburg
A letter from a private health insurance company to confirm that you have an EHIC card
Your passport
2 passport photos
A receipt to show that you’ve paid the administration fee
A form that confirms your arrival at the university
And finally, good organisational skills and a lot of patience!

I’ve also opened a bank account which was surprisingly easy, and my student loan has FINALLY come through today! Only thing left is getting my Learning Agreement checked and signed. Unfortunately, that is a source of much confusion right now. At this stage it looks like I’m only going to be studying German because I can’t work out how or where to register for anything else!


Oh well, tonight we are having a little flat warming party to get to know everyone, so I guess that will just have to wait! I have one more week of freedom before classes start and I’m determined to enjoy it.
Bis später ;)



p.s. welcome to Germany Rob!
(another student from Dundee)

p.p.s for those who would like to know a little more about the Austrian Erasmus experience, have a read of Beth's blog (also from Dundee!) - http://wheniwasasalzburger.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment