Monday 21 October 2013

And so it begins…

So I had my first lecture today. Bit of a shock to the system. I was expecting to get an overview of the course like we do in Dundee, so I was more than a little surprised when 20mins in I finally realised this was not the case and that I should have been paying more attention. Though, saying that, it took me a while just to get used to processing what the lecturer was saying. I’ve never really struggled to hold a conversation in German, but when someone is talking for 2 hours straight it is really hard to follow because you just don’t get the little breaks you need for your brain to figure out what you’ve just heard. That, and European state theory in early modern times is something I would struggle to follow in English!
Oh well, I’m glad to say that I did understand significantly more in the second hour, which was definitely a relief. There were less textbook definitions and more explanations put into context. Though, I’m now realising that I might actually have to put a bit more work into personal research if I want to keep up.


Also, I was highly amused at the end of the lecture when everyone started knocking on their desks… like as an alternative to clapping. Apparently they do it after every lecture. Strange!


No comments:

Post a Comment